Elbit: $25 million worth Remote Controlled Weapon Stations to Brazil
5 November, 2012
REMAX is a stabilized weapon station for 12.7/7.62mm machine guns and will be used in armored vehicles for troop transport and in armored platforms. Elbit marked Brazil as a key growing market
Elbit Systems (NASDAQ:ESLT) from Haifa, Israel, continues to expand ita Latin America market. The company announced that Ares Aeroespacial e Defensa Ltda. (“Ares”), its Brazilian subsidiary, was awarded an initial production order valued at approximately $25 million to supply 12.7/7.62mm Remote Controlled Weapon Stations (RCWS) to the Brazilian Army. The REMAX, a unique development of Ares, will be supplied within two years.
It was specifically designed to meet Brazilian Army requirements. Ares REMAX have already been successfully tested. REMAX is a stabilized weapon station for 12.7/7.62mm machine guns and will be used in armored vehicles for troop transport and in armored platforms that include logistics vehicles utilized in combat, border patrol and peace keeping missions.
This marks the second contract award in approximately a month of Elbit Systems in Brazil, following the September 13, 2012 Elbit Systems announcement regarding a $15 million initial production order awarded to AEL Sistemas S.A, another Elbit Systems subsidiary in Brazil, to supply Unmanned Turrets to the Brazilian Army.
Elbit Systems is one of Irael’s biggest defense contractor. In recent years it marked Brazil as a key growing market. In September 2011 its local Brazilian subsidiary, AEL Sistemas signed several agreements with Embraer Defesa, a subsidiary of Embraer, to establish the joint company Harpia, in which Embraer Defesa owns 51% and AEL owns the remaining 49%. The new company, based in Brasilia, will be engaged in the areas of unmanned aircraft systems, avionics systems and simulators.
In January 2011 Elbit won its biggest contract in Brazil. AEL was awarded a framework contract, valued at up to $260 million for the supply of UT30 BR 30 mm Unmanned Turrets to the Brazilian Army’s Land Forces, as part of the Guarani Project. The contract calls for Elbit Systems’ UT30 BR to be installed onboard a few hundred of Iveco 6×6 APCs, according to a schedule and a multi-year funding profile to be defined by the parties.