Himax to Fully Acquire Emza Visual Sense
9 April, 2018
The acquisition will allow Himax to produce visual sensors that integrate camera, hardware and algorithms and operate at very low power, cost and size
The Taiwanese fabless Semiconductor provider Himax Technologies announced that it has decided to exercise its options to fully acquire Emza Visual Sense from Giv’atayim, near Tel Aviv. Emza develops of extremely efficient visual sensors that include proprietary machine-vision algorithms and specific architectures that enable always-on operation.
Those sensors are based on a Computer Vision algorithms that requires very small memory and CPU power, integrated with custom made CMOS sensors. This can builds a sub 1mW, coin-sized IoT sensor, that can detect and classify humans (or any other object), count people, perform queue monitoring and describe the observed activity.
Last April Himax bought 45.1% equity of Emza, with one-year options to acquire the remaining 54.9%. The acquisition will allow Himax to produce visual sensors that integrate camera, hardware and algorithms and operate at very low power, cost and size. Emza will continue as it is after the acquisition, and will maintain Emza company brand and its current WiseEye brand product lines.
“With the full acquisition of Emza, Himax will be uniquely positioned for IoT solutions, which require tight integration of the critical skills and knowledge of Himax’s CMOS technology and ASIC design with Emza’s computer vision algorithms. Himax will be positioned to offer significant value to our customers and to enter new markets beyond consumer electronics, such as connected homes, smart buildings and security, and extend our reach into new IoT markets with interest in other Himax products such as our 3D sensing solutions,” said Jordan Wu, CEO of Himax.
“Our team members are excited about becoming part of the Himax family. The synergy between the two companies and our mutual skills will accelerate the development of highly integrated turn-key IoT solutions to take machine learning-based computer vision applications to a whole new level of performance, price and autonomy. We will continue to pursue the IoT market and customers,” said Yoram Zylberberg, CEO of Emza.